When Max Payne studio Remedy Entertainment moved on from the adventures of a hardboiled cop to insomniac author Alan Wake (who also shoots stuff), gamers let forth a collective "hm." But almost three years later, the unique horror shooter has carved out a comfortable niche.
"We've moved over two million copies--that's including PC," Oskari Häkkinen, Remedy's head of franchise development, told CVG. "So after a slow start it's turning into something really positive. It's definitely had legs. I think narrative experiences just have a tendency for that."
Alan Wake finally hit PC in February. A year before that, downloadable exclusive Alan Wake's American Nightmare enjoyed a warm reception. Häkkinen said Remedy is hopeful about its original franchise's future.
"Alan Wake is definitely very close to our hearts. It's our IP--we own it. It's not something that we're going to forget very easily."
We'll soon see if another Alan Wake is among the studio's current projects, given this tweet by Remedy Creative Director Sam Lake:
Source:Alan Wake sells 2 million copies
After 16 consecutive years of Tiger Woods PGA Tour games, EA is rumoured to be giving the franchise a rest next spring. According to Kotaku sources, EA Sports has shelved plans to release Tiger Woods PGA Tour 15 as part of its parent company’s wider restructuring efforts.
The site was told that EA Sports initially planned to outsource Tiger Woods PGA Tour 15, giving regular series developer EA Tiburon extra time to get to grips with PS4 and the next-gen Xbox for the following year's release. But it claims 2014's series entry has now been canned as part of cost-cutting measures and that some members of the Tiger Woods team have been reassigned to other projects.
EA, which is in the midst of significant restructuring, declined to comment on the report. Former EA CEO John Riccitiello resigned in March, while streamlining measures have seen the publisher make a series of worldwide layoffs in recent months. It was also rumoured last week that the company has shut its EA Partners publishing label.
Source:Rumour: Tiger Woods PGA Tour 15 canned
The first game from Respawn Entertainment is rumoured be exclusive to Xbox 360 and Microsoft’s next-gen console. While the California-based studio has largely kept the project under wraps since it was founded in 2010 by two Call of Duty co-creators - one of whom has since departed - the new IP is a “sci-fi oriented shooter” set to be published by EA.
The game is rumoured to be called Titan and is in line for an appearance at E3 in June, but if the latest report concerning its target platforms is on the money, it may well be unveiled alongside Microsoft’s next-gen Xbox at a reveal event scheduled for May 21. One Kotaku source claims the game will be exclusive to the next-gen Xbox, while another says Respawn is also outsourcing development of an Xbox 360 version. While it’s possible that the title could be a timed exclusive that eventually launches on other platforms, neither source indicated that this was the case.
The new game is reportedly being made using a modified version of Valve's Source engine. It is said to be a multiplayer-centric shooter that probably won’t feature a single-player campaign. Players will allegedly choose to join one of two warring factions, both of which can pilot giant, agile mechs – Titans - that can be brought down by foot soldiers.
Kotaku’s sources also claim that Microsoft has been aggressively seeking to sign exclusive third party content for the next-gen Xbox. One says that the platform holder is as much as six months behind schedule in producing games for the console, and that Microsoft recently cancelled several internal projects that weren’t shaping up as planned. Respawn, EA and Microsoft have yet to offer comment on the report.
In February, CVG reported that EA is preparing to announce a key exclusivity agreement at Microsoft’s next-gen Xbox reveal event. Be sure to check out our Xbox 720 rumor round-up for a preview of potential news to come.
Source:Respawn’s first game rumoured to be Xbox exclusive
Square Enix Europe is to cut an unspecified number of jobs as part of recently announced restructuring plans, with staff in the UK confirmed to be among those affected by the decision.
The publisher said in a statement issued to MCV: “We are reviewing our business in Europe to ensure we have the right structure, content and skills for the changing entertainment landscape. We do expect changes to the UK office, which will affect personnel. We will update you when the time is right, but our priority right now is for the people within the business."
Square Enix cut multiple jobs at its Los Angeles office last month “as part of the corporate restructuring” announced at the end of March. At the same time, the Japanese publisher confirmed that president Yoichi Wada is to resign in June following a tough financial year in which results were hit by weaker than expected US and European sales of big-budget western games like Tomb Raider and Hitman: Absolution.
Source:Square Enix layoffs spread to Europe